WizEar is a legally registered private Voluntary organisation that started to operate in 2008 to date, it has a Memorandum of Understanding with Ministry of Health and Child Care. WizEar’s main mandate is to make ear and hearing health care accessible to all. WizEar supports the Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) health services at 4 Central, 6 Provincial and 13 district Hospitals in 8 provinces of Zimbabwe under the P4014 Ear and Hearing Project. WizEar is also responsible for calibration for all the equipment in the ENT units at these hospitals
WizEar is implementing P4014 project that started in September 2020 to December 2023. The project is being implemented in 8 provinces and 13 districts of Zimbabwe covering 4 central hospitals, 6 provincial hospitals and 13 district hospitals. The Hospitals are;
- Mashonaland Central Province (Bindura Provincial Hospital, Mbire District (Chitsungo Mission Hospital) and Mazowe District (Concession District Hospital)
- Manicaland Province ( Mutare( Victoria Chitepo Provincial Hospital) ,Buhera ( Murambinda Mission Hospital) and Chipinge District( Chipinge District Hospital)
- Masvingo Province (Masvingo Provincial Hospital, Zaka District (Ndanga District Hospital) and Chiredzi District (Chiredzi District Hospital)
- Matabeleland North ( Binga District( Binga District Hospital) and Hwange ( Lukosi Rural Hospital)
- Matabeleland South (Insiza District (Filabusi District Hospital), Beitbridge District (Beitbridge District Hospital and Matobo District ( Maphisa District Hospital)
- Midlands (Gweru Provincial Hospital, Mberengwa District Hospital, Gokwe North District Hospital)
- Harare (Sally Mugabe Central Hospital and Parirenyatwa Central Hospital)
- Bulawayo (Mpilo Central Hospital and United Bulawayo Hospitals)
The focus is to provide quality and affordable ear and hearing health care to all the people of Zimbabwe although priority is given to vulnerable communities. WizEar services include ear and hearing health care which includes ear screening, otoscopy, syringing, tympanometry, trouble shooting and fitting hearing aids, provision of hearing aid batteries, Auditory Steady State Response (ASSR) as well as new-born hearing screening. WizEar also do training in basic Ear and Hearing Health Care for individuals, government institutions and health institutions.
In the implementation of the P4014 project WizEar is working with Organisations for people with disabilities (OPDs), Organisation of people with disabilities, government stakeholders that include Ministry of Health and Child Care, Ministry of Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare Disability Affairs Department and other partners in the provision of ear and hearing health services in hard-to-reach areas of Zimbabwe. WizEar is supporting an ENT Unity at Sally Mugabe Children’s Hospital. Under the P4014 project a Paediatric Ear, Nose and Throat Theatre was constructed at Sally Mugabe Children’s Hospital. Audiological equipment that includes audiometers, headlamps, otoscope was procured for central, provincial and district hospitals under the P4014 Project. Doctors, Rehabilitation Personnel and Registered General Nurses from hospitals under the project were trained in basic ear and hearing health care. Ear camps/Outreaches are being conducted in the above-mentioned areas to provide ear and hearing health services to the members of the public for free. Awareness campaigns are being carried out in partnership with OPDs, Ministry of Health and Child Care, Ministry of Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare among other stakeholders and partners. Under P4014 Project, Project Steering Committee that comprise of different stakeholders and people from OPDs was selected to monitor and give recommendations to the project implementation strategy. WizEar contributed to the formulation and implementation of National Ear and Hearing Strategy. WizEar advocated for the introduction of a Bsc Audiology and Speech Therapy degree at University of Zimbabwe in 2018.