On 25 February 2019, a 11-member committee responsible for addressing the water crisis in Gwanda Ward 5, convened for a meeting with the town Engineer at the Council Chambers.
The meeting was aimed at proffering solutions to the outstanding issues raised during a consultative meeting that was conducted by the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Local Government, Public Works and National Housing over lack of water and sewer lines in Gwanda Ward 5 on the 12th of February 2019.
During the committee meeting the following issues were highlighted:
- Identification of a possible financier who can take up the responsibility of paying for the necessary costs for servicing housing stands in the area.
- To advertise a tender so as to attract land developers who can service Gwanda Ward 5 housing stands.
- The stands that require servicing include part of the medium density area within Spitzkop Medium and the entire high-density area within Spitzkop North.
- It was agreed that the selected land developer should service the land with water and sewer pipelines including street lighting.
- Payment fees for the land developer will be based on the number of stands per square metre within Spitzkop.
- In order for maintain transparency, all procedures noted will be done through the procurement committee.
- Committee members are expected to convene within the next 45 days.
Source: Women’s Institute for Leadership Development