Attention: ARTUZ Members and All Progressive Teachers
Cc: Public Service Commission; Minister of Finance; Minister of Primary and Secondary Education; Provincial Education Directors; District School Heads; School Heads
REF: Withdrawal of labour from 18-21 June in protest against underpayment
Amalgamated Rural Teachers’ Union of Zimbabwe, ARTUZ consulted teachers across the country through physical meetings and online engagements. The teachers resolved and committed themselves to fight for a living wage. Teachers are ready to face the brutal onslaught of our state and employer as they seek labour justice. The following is the noted background and agreed way forward.
- Our employer is not responding to our call for salaries in United States dollars or market equivalent.
- Prices of basic goods and services have shot through the ceiling.
- Our June salary is a mockery for both our noble profession and ourselves as a people.
- Our employer has capacity to pay a living wage no wonder why they are declaring a budgetary surplus.
- Our employer is ignoring notices for job actions and victimizes us whether we give notice or not.
- We are now aware of the punishment we face when we withdraw our labour, not being paid for the days we were absent.
- We will withdraw our labor from 18-21 June 2019.
- We will review the job action on Friday 21 JUNE 2019 and make an informed decision on way forward.
- Lawyers and other safety nets have been mobilized to guarantee safety of all teachers during this job action.
- Let’s all participate in this second phase of our call for a living wage.
Source: Amalgamated Rural Teachers’ Union of Zimbabwe (ARTUZ)