About the NTJWG
The National Transitional Justice Working Group (NTJWG) is a platform of Zimbabwean organisations representing various transitional justice stakeholders. Forty-six civil society organisations set up the platform in 2014 to provide an interface between transitional justice stakeholders and official transitional justice processes in the country. The establishment of the NTJWG came after the promulgation of a new Constitution in Zimbabwe in 2013, which established the National Peace and Reconciliation Commission (NPRC) to ensure post-conflict justice, healing and reconciliation, including developing programs that promote national healing, unity and peaceful conflict resolution. This presented an opportunity for civil society to collaboratively work with official processes towards influencing the adoption of a national approach to peace and reconciliation processes that is inclusive and aimed at facilitating national healing and sustainable peace. Transitional justice experts were then elected to lead the NTJWG focusing on the following thematic areas: gender, justice and accountability, promotion of truth, institutional reform, reparations and memorialisation. The NTJWG works throughout the country and divides its geographical areas of focus into five regions, namely: Matabeleland (Bulawayo, Matabeleland North and South); Harare, Mashonaland East, West and Central; Midlands; Manicaland and Masvingo.
Areas of Interest
The NTJWG has managed to build a powerful movement for transitional justice in Zimbabwe. The following are some of its major milestones;
- The adoption of the Guiding Principles on Transitional Justice Policy and Practice in Zimbabwe by 48 organisations in July 2015
- The development of the Minimum Standards for an Effective National Peace and Reconciliation Commission in Zimbabwe
- Training for Parliamentarians on transitional justice policy framework for Zimbabwe
- Advocacy for the National Peace and Reconciliation Commission Act for Zimbabwe
- Development of a Monitoring Framework for Zimbabwe’s transitional justice policy, and
- Provision of technical support to the National Peace and Reconciliation Commission.
Access the full profile here (116KB PDF)
Source: National Transitional Justice Working Group