Although it cannot be ignored that Chinese investments in Zimbabwe have brought the much-needed investment in the mining sector, some of their operations have brought discontent in local communities. Anjin Investments (Pvt) Limited is at loggerheads with the Chiadzwa community for its failure to promote socio-economic development including failure by the company to take into cognizance locals’ cherished values, beliefs and ethos.
Headman Robert Chiadzwa together with 27 community were arrested on the 2nd of November 2021 at the Anjin premises for allegedly protesting against the mining company for its alleged ‘irresponsible investment conduct.’ The State alleges that the 28 accused persons assaulted twelve Chinese nationals for failing to obey their order to stop all operations at the diamond plant.
The Zimbabwe Environmental Law Association (ZELA) and partners secured the release of the 28 who spent a night detained at Mutare Remand Prison.
The bail was granted under the following conditions;
- Bail set at RTGS3000 per person.
- The accused are to not set foot at Anjin premises.
- The accused must not interfere with witnesses.
- The accused should continue residing at their given addresses until the matter is finalised.
- There were no reporting conditions set.
- The matter has been remanded to 22 November 2021.
Source: Zimbabwe Environmental Law Association