The Amalgamated Rural Teachers Union of Zimbabwe, ARTUZ, is saddened by the press statement that was released by the Public Service Commission on 11 March 2021. The PSC should note that threatening incapacitated teachers with “no work, no pay” will not yield any positive results. Rather, it continues to destroy the education system.
The NJNC that is being recognized by PSC is a nullity at law. We need collective bargaining, not mere consultations. As a union, we are not moved by mere threats. The PSC proposed COLA and is totally rejected by teachers.
Our position is very clear, we are not going to report for duty until the employer restores back a minimum salary of USD 520 per month.
Among other demands, the employer should:
- Create a negotiating table specific for the education sector.
- Pay teachers specific sector allowances.
- Restore back vacation leave for teachers.
- Unlimited paid maternity leave.
- Regrading of teachers who have attained higher qualifications.
We will not tire in defending our rights as teachers.
Source: Amalgamated Rural Teachers Union of Zimbabwe