On 31 December 2019, the Government of Zimbabwe (GoZ) published the Constitution of Zimbabwe Amendment (No. 2) Bill (hereafer the Constitutional Bill) in the Extraordinary Government Gazette. This formally commenced the special procedure to amend the Constitution of Zimbabwe.
The process stalled following the emergence of the COVID19 pandemic and public health regulations under which a national lockdown was imposed. Parliament has announced that public consultations are resuming. This document summarises ZESN’s position on the set of changes proposed by the Constitutional Bill.
The Constitutional Bill includes proposals that affect the conduct of elections in Zimbabwe. The following proposed changes impact elections both directly and indirectly:
- the delimitation of electoral boundaries
- the election of Vice Presidents
- the composition of provincial and metropolitan councils
- the extension of the women’s parliamentary quota
- the introduction of the youths’ parliamentary quota
- the appointment of judges of Supreme Court and the Constitutional Court
- the appointment of the Prosecutor-General
Download full document here (1MB PDF)
Source: Zimbabwe Election Support Network (ZESN)