/Reports of Violations
The call centre received 130 calls with incidents between July 31 and August 7. This was also coordinated with reports from people who were subsequently identified through verification of these reports, thus totaling 161 reports with incidents (1 report was subsequently removed as a repeat).
- 4 of the reports were in relation to events that had happened prior to elections, making a total of 1184 calls
- 47 of the reports were continuing to report violations committed on election day, making a total of 187 calls related to election day / night
- 115 of the reports were violations that occurred after election day / night
The reports show the ways in which election-related violations were employed at different stages:
- The before election period was primarily driven by threats of what would happen to people of ZANU-PF did not win, including extreme violence, eviction and loss of aid
- The during election period reported high level of electoral malpractices, most frequently people being forced to claim illiteracy or disability and be ‘assisted’ to vote
- The post-election period has seen high levels of violence and displacement, playing out the threats issued in the election lead-up.
Source: We the People of Zimbabwe (WtPZ)
[/vc_column_text][vc_row_inner column_margin=”default” top_padding=”20″ text_align=”left”][vc_column_inner column_padding=”no-extra-padding” column_padding_position=”all” background_color_opacity=”1″ width=”1/1″ column_border_width=”none” column_border_style=”solid”][text-with-icon icon_type=”font_icon” icon=”icon-file-text” color=”Extra-Color-3″]Download PDF (862KB PDF)[/text-with-icon][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][/vc_column][/vc_row]