The Election Resource Centre, (ERC), a think tank and advocacy organization working on elections extends its congratulations to the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) on conducting the recent wave of three by-elections for Glen View South Constituency, Mangwe Constituency and Masvingo Rural District Council Ward 1 in line of Section 39 of the Electoral Act on vacancies and by-elections.
The ERC welcomes the following as key improvements in the conduct of by-elections following the 2018 harmonized elections:
- Invitation of civic society organization to conduct voter education ahead of by-elections
- Deploying voter educators in by-election sites
- Posting of voters rolls outside polling stations
- Early announcement of election results
- Early sharing of some election statistics after the by-elections
The noted administrative measures taken by ZEC, some of which have not required any laws to be changed to be effected, show the capacity of the election management body to institute reforms for purposes of giving full effect to constitutional principles in Section 156 on a voting method that is simple, accurate, verifiable, secure and transparent. It is clear, from the actions of ZEC that not all reforms require laws to be changed to implement electoral reforms given that since May 2018, there have not been any changes in laws regulating the conduct of elections.
Source: Election Resource Centre (ERC)