Most parents welcome the opening of schools which is supposed to take place on the 30th of August for examination siting classes and 6th September for other classes. They are complaining of the behavior of children at home during the continuous Covid 19 perpetrated lockdowns. In Rusape most of the children including those who are still in primary levels have started to go and work in the nearby farms. After receiving their dues they engage in rowdy behaviors, they start to smoke and drink uncontrollably. They engage in sexual activities at a tender age. Unplanned early pregnancies have been witnessed.
Despite all these most of the parents are complaining of the short notice period given by the government to prepare for the opening of schools. Uniforms, stationaries , bus fares above all school fees need to be raised within this short space of time given also the prevailing economic conditions in our country. The parents plead with the government to subsidies school fees and provide stationary for the school children. Most of the parents lost their jobs due to the pandemic, those who have managed to secure their jobs are not being paid in time and some have their salaries and benefits slashed.
The women of Rusape through the WESE Indaba termed China chemadzimai are appealing to the government of Zimbabwe through the ministries of education and Finance;
- To provide social support services to the schools before on the 30th of August 2021.
- To waiver school fees in public schools and extend BEAM support to all learners in public schools.
- To provide PPE to teachers by the 30th of August 2021.
- To provide PPE to the students by the 30th of August 2021.
- To provide social support services to parents by 30th Of August in order for them to be able to support the children when they go to school.
- To provide counselling services in schools for the children who have lost their guardians and parents due to Covid-19.