Zimbabwean citizens consistently demanded their rights in 2020. We fought in the face of COVID19, a repressive state and an imploding economy. As curtains come down on 2020, lets throw one last punch before we close the year. Lets declare Friday 11 December as a “Day of Action for Education.” Under our #SaveOurEducationZW campaign.
What to do:
- Wear black this Friday 11 December 2020, mourning the death of education.
- Organise parents in your community and picket just outside schools demanding solutions to education crisis.
- Submit a petition to your local education officials.
- Share your pictures on social media using #SaveOurEducationZW
Three crisis points have to be urgently addressed in our schools.
- The ongoing apartheid examinations must be stopped. Learners from poor backgrounds are being forced to write examinations they never prepared for. This travesty of justice must be stopped. Exams must be re-written in 2021 after adequate preparations.
- Schools should be closed until COVID19 safety measures have been instituted. Schools are failing to adhere to COVID19 regulations because of underfunding. The blind mass transmission of the corona virus in schools must be stopped!
- Teacher salaries should be restored to USD 520. The incapacitation crisis remains unresolved. Government should urgently restore the value of teacher salaries so that our teachers fully return to duty.
On Friday 11 December 2020, lets throw another punch as we seek to save our education from collapse.
View ARTUZ petition for Grade C teachers on teacher re-grading and Covid-19 allowance and ARTUZ petition on welfare of aides and teachers with disabilities.
Source: Amalgamated Rural Teachers Union of Zimbabwe (ARTUZ)