Community Water Alliance has launched an Access to Information Campaign dubbed #3By3December.
The campaign objective is to ensure that citizens have access to information for purposes of public accountability and promotion of human rights in the water sector.
The campaign seeks to ensure that by 3 December 2018 citizen have access to information on 3 key issues:
- Pilot project report on pre-paid water meters in Harare.
- Abolition of sections that restrict access to information in Environmental Impact Assessment and Ecosystems Protection Regulations Statutory Instrument 7 of 2007.
- Access to local development plans that feeds into Master plan of Local Authorities.
To achieve the above objective, Community Water Alliance will undertake the following activities:
- Developing and sharing messages on access to information in the water sector.
- Write letters to state institutions requisting information that
promote public accountability and Human Rights on water delivery.
- Petitioning Parliament of Zimbabwe for review of laws and oversight over state institutions.
Community Water Alliance strongly believe that access to information is very important in the water sector for purposes of enforcing the Human Right to Water enshrined in Section 77(a), Environmental Rights in Section 73 and for enforcement of principles of public administration and leadership contained in Chapter 9 of the Zimbabwean Constitution.
Source: Community Water Alliance